1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.
2. To walk this post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own.
5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.
6. To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Officer of the Day, and Officers and Non-Commissioned officers of the guard only.
7. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.
8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
9. To call the Corporal of the Guard in any case not covered by instruction.
10. To salute all officers and colors and standards not cased.
11. To be especially watchful at night and during the time for challenging, challenge all persons on or near my post and allow no one to pass without proper authority.